Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Krispy Kremes

I'm convinced that Christians will clap and cheer for anything if said by the right person. 


For instance, I watched a YouTube video of Louie Giglio the other night that was completely ridiculous.  Now don't get me wrong; I think Louie Giglio is an incredible speaker.  After all, I did look him up on YouTube.  What was so comical about this particular video was the topic:  Krispy Kreme Donuts.  People were hootin' and hollerin' like Krispy Kremes are the absolute meaning for their entire existence.
Why does this happen?  Why have I been counted among the number of people who have cheered for something so silly?  I think it's because we have such a deep need to belong.  We need to be counted among a larger number for a larger purpose.


The portion of Louie Giglio's message that I listened to was approximately 10 minutes long, and about 85% of it was spent talking about all the facts about Krispy Kreme.  He ended this schpeel by eating a donut, and the crowd really roared!  His illustration pointed to our need to experience Jesus, not just be able to spew details about Him.  Like the donut, the point is not to just know a lot about Jesus, but to experience Him.


That's a great point...but it seemed to be lost on the crowd.  For 8.5 minutes, they cheered about donuts, but when the final point was made, when our need for a relationship with Jesus was noted, the crowd was silent!


I know this is an illustration of the majority of my time "following Jesus".  I haven't always known what it really means to experience Him, to make Him LORD of my life, to trust Him completely.  That seems to be the case with a lot of other Christians, too.  It's the reason we can cheer about nothing, but find ourselves silent and questioning when presented with Jesus. 


I'm trying to get to know Him better, and I truly do find myself cheering for Him and caring less and less about the things of this world.  The more I read about Him and talk to Him, the more and more I fall in love with Him.  The more I share in fellowship with other people who are passionate about the LORD, sharing my experiences and sharing in their's, the more I want to jump up and down and shout His name to the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment